We are in a critical period to get legislation passed for our children. The legislative session ends March 12, 2020 but it’s always appropriate to voice your support.
Here are some Current Active Topics:
1) Paraeducator Funding: Paraeducators are the only educators who spend their entire workday with students, directly assisting them in learning, growing and navigating the world around them. Please contact your legislators to include 4 days of paraeducator training in the budget.
2) Support ESB 5834: Access to a free public education is a basic right of all children. Nearly 40 years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court concluded that undocumented school-aged children have the right to a high-quality public education. Since it is the vision of PTA that every child’s potential become a reality, help us now advocate on the behalf of these children. Contact your House of Representatives Congressperson.
3) School Lunch Duration HB 1272: Email Senators now because this bill passed in the House.
Without adequate time to enjoy a complete meal, students may be prevented from reaching their full potential.
4) Identification of Highly Capable Students: Encourage your legislator to support the need for equitable representation of all demographic groups in highly capable programs, regardless of zip code, especially low-income students, students with disabilities, English Language Learners, and highly mobile students. Encourage them to support legislation that supports universal screening:
- All students by 2nd grade, and again by 6th grade; and
- At students’ school of attendance, during the regular school day; and
- Using unbiased screening instruments
5) Any other topic you like: driving with electronic device, gun violence prevention, adolescent behavior health, dyslexia screening, climate and more.
Important links for parents: